Thursday, February 21, 2019

~ The offended and the offender both of which I have been ~

Pain, hurt, betrayal, and frustration, I find that these are never welcomed feelings in our life, but the reality is, we all will experience them. I mean, let's be honest. None of us are lining up for a bad day. Like most people, I try to avoid them if at all possible but they still come. In twenty-six years of pastoral ministry, they have come more than I could have ever imagined. So, now what? Do we quit? Do we cower to the attack of the enemy when our faith is brought into question or do we press on? When these emotions rise out of the sea of conflict or misunderstanding, be steady, and return to the promise of God's word. The psalmist David had an amazing understanding concerning this subject.

Psalm 63:6-8 6 On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. 7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. 8 I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.

Recently the Lord reminded me that in my offense, I must remember, that I have been the offender. Just as I desire to be vindicated I must also be willing to be examined. He is my rescuer, but He is also my examiner. He alone knows the thoughts and intentions of our hearts. He knows our real motive. David again understood this.

Psalm 26:1-3 1 Vindicate me, Lord, for I have led a blameless life; I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered. 2 Test me, Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; 3 for I have always been mindful of your unfailing love and have lived in reliance on your faithfulness.

Vindication can never come without the willingness to be tested and examined. If we are to ask for vindication then we to must be willing to allow the Holy Spirit full access to our mind and heart so that anything that is unlike the love of Christ in us may be removed. My prayer in writing this is that we see in our humanity there is no perfection. What is perfect, it is His mercy, justice, grace, and love. Your healing is in Jesus. We love because He first loved us. 

Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. ~ The offended and the offender both of which I have been ~

4 comments:

RefTagger